honey mesquite wood

The trunks on mesquite tend to twist a lot. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information. Our wood is not treated with harmful Chemicals. The wood needs to be strong and dimensionally stable, but the pieces are only about 12″ x 3/8″ x 5/8″ so you don’t need long stretches of straight grain. Select options. Yes I agree Mesquite is a beautiful wood but that tree is very mean. FYI: I receive a commission on sales generated through links to Amazon, eBay, etc. The trick is the straight grain. Remember that this is a desert native. Glues, turns, and finishes well. Honey mesquite has a showy trunk; thorns are present on the trunk as well as the branches. Reviews There are no reviews yet. It’s a member of the legume family, and the smell is similar to peanuts. Height. This mesquite tree should be planted in full sun but is not picky about soil as long as it is well draining.. Honey mesquite care includes regulating the amount of irrigation the plant gets. Freshly cut mesquite is medium tan and ages to a reddish sun-baked sandstone color." Honey Mesquite exhibits very little movement or expansion/contraction due to environmental changes in humidity. Prices for Honey Mesquite are in the upper range for a domestic hardwood. Prosopis glandulosa var. Expect a surprise collection of knots, splits, worm holes and bark pockets you can feature in your own one-of-a-kind custom projects. Prosopis juliflora var. We are dedicated to supplying your restaurant with professional grade cooking fuel. Related Species: African Mesquite (Prosopis africana) Algarrobo Blanco (Prosopis alba) Honey Mesquite (Prosopis glandulosa) Comments: None. If your honey mesquite trees get too much water, it will grow very fast and the wood will be weak. Its brown and gold color and swirling grain makes it the perfect type of wood for making furniture with a rustic appeal. I know it’s five years ago, but still. Today, many people associate mesquite with delicious barbecue. Honey Mesquite 11″ Logs $ 31.99 Add to cart; Pecan 11″ mini Logs $ 34.99 Add to cart; Post oak 11″ logs $ 34.99 Add to cart; Restaurant Supply. Prosopis glandulosa, commonly known as honey mesquite, is a species of small to medium-sized, thorny shrub or tree in the legume family ( Fabaceae ). They are native to the southwestern United States and Mexico. Honey Mesquite (Prosopis glandulosa) Honey Mesquite is a shrub or small tree characterized by 8-inch, bean-like pods and 3-inc spines occurring at large nodes on branches. They can have a... Branches/Twigs. Honey Mesquite Wood Box: Extra small, small, medium. Related products. Honey Mesquite is prized by segmented woodturners and others for its exceptional stability. Honey Mesquite Prosopis glandulosa , or the Honey Mesquite , is a perennial deciduous tree that grows about as tall as it is wide with bright-green, feathery leaves. Rot Resistance: Honey Mesquite is considered very durable regarding decay resistance. Our wood is kiln dried to below 20% moisture content. The narrow leaves are pointed and are 2 to 3 inches long. I think it’s better form not to overtly advertise (as opposed to contributing your and your husband’s considerable expertise). This is a beautiful cross made of Honey Mesquite burl wood. © Copy Right 2019 | Gourmet Wood ® Products, Inc. |. Mesquite trees are short, twisted Sonoran desert plants and the resulting lumber reflects the intense hard life they endure. That said, would you consider this a good wood for making a custom folding rule? Trees with pickable pods will appear bushier in foliage and have strings of pods on them, resembling a fern pattern. It is also used in furniture making and is still used as a food source in items such as jellies, honey, liquid smoke and flour made from grinding the whole pods. The mesquite’s sap was used for black dye and sweet gum, and the wood was used to make arrows and bows for hunting. Comments: Considered by some to be an invasive species, Mesquite is known to produce great firewood with a high thermal value. Mesquite trees grow quickly providing shade food, and haven to birds and animals. Prosopis glandulosa Trunk/Bark. It reaches a height of 20 feet; the trunk may be up to 12 inches in diameter. Endgrain: Diffuse-porous (or semi-ring-porous); large pores in no specific arrangement, few to moderately numerous; solitary and radial multiples of 2-3; amber-colored deposits occasionally present; growth rings indistinct (or distinct due to marginal parenchyma); medium to large rays may be just barely visible without lens, normal spacing; parenchyma vasicentric, lozenge, and confluent. Chilean Mesquite Trees. The IUCN reports that Black Mesquite is widely exploited for its wood, but does not give a full evaluation of its conservation status. Honey mesquite wood | Etsy Check out our honey mesquite wood selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops. It is this time that makes the burl wood so beautiful. Honey Mesquite is prized by segmented woodturners and others for its exceptional stability. Honey Mesquite is a hardy wood that packs intense flavor. Honey Mesquite has … Twigs are armed with sharp thorns up to 10cm (2”) long especially on young plants. Many pollen and allergy sites claim mesquite is a major offender of causing asthma type reactions, inflamed nasal passages, etc. If you wish to add visual interest to the landscape of any property, you … Pricing/Availability: Mesquite only tends to be available in small sizes, or as large irregular slabs. Mesquite that is clear and free from defects is easy to work with hand and machine tools, but irregular grain or knots can be challenging. Because honey mesquite trees are desert plants regulating the amount of irrigation they get is an important part of ensuring your honey mesquite trees with thrive. Freshly cut mesquite is medium tan and ages to a reddish sun-baked sandstone color. These pictures don’t do Honey https://www.MesquiteTREE.org. Mesquite wood is pretty and hard, but time makes it even prettier. glandulosa (Torr.) Synonyms. Color/Appearance: Heartwood tends to be a reddish brown, which darkens with age. Wood : Honey Mesquite Shaft: Walnut. Natural range. Of course, mesquite tree benefits extend not only to humans but to animals as well. https://www.MesquiteTREE.org. Sapwood is yellow in color, and tends to be thin. Larger boards free from defects are uncommon. Are Rosewoods (and Bubinga) really banned by CITES? Try mesquite coals for grilling steaks, vegetables, and other quick-cooking, flavorful foods. It is an extremely beautiful wood with wild and website to see some of the beauty of this hidden treasure. Honey Mesquite, Glandular Mesquite, Algarroba A graceful southwestern native, Prosopis glandulosa (Honey Mesquite) is a shrub or small deciduous tree with a rounded crown and contorted, drooping branches adorned with feathery, bright-green leaves, up to 8 in. Egrets, Ed’s 3rd largest spindle style, are a great all around spindle capable of spinning fingering to worsted yarns. Good dense wood but if you turn it, plan on sharpening a few times. Honey mesquite trees have compound leaves consisting of many leaflets. Honey mesquite bark and spines. 5 out of 5 stars (60) 60 reviews $ 25.00. I like your website! The honey mesquite pod is a consumable item in Fallout: New Vegas. Cedar Custom Wood Box $ 35.99 – $ 64.99; Grain/Texture: Honey Mesquite has a medium to coarse texture and open pores, with a slight natural luster. These pictures don’t do Honey Mesquite justice. Honey Mesquite heartwood is usually a reddish brown. torreyana. 3 talking about this. Ed created the Egret style February 2013 to close the size gap between the Aegean and Swan. The honey mesquite is a perennial shrub that grows to 30 feet (about 9m) tall and has a broad crown of similar proportions with bright, green foliage. Visit my website to see some of the beauty of this hidden treasure. Recognize it by the long compound leaflets, stout thorns, and wide-spreading, drooping branches. Custom Designs and Projects by Audrey Bradley Mesquite trees are short, twisted Sonoran desert plants and the resulting lumber reflects the intense hard life they endure. Common Uses: Fence posts, flooring, turned objects, cabinetry, and furniture. Leaves of mature honey mesquite are browsed by cattle only on deteriorated rangeland. Home for sale at 10651 E Honey Mesquite Drive Scottsdale, AZ 85262, with MLS 6152605. Mesquite justice. It has crooked, drooping branches with a smooth, brown trunk that roughens with age and is approximately 12 inches (about 30cm) in diameter. The blossoms provide bees with nectar to make honey. The honey mesquite, Prosopis glandulosa, is a thorny medium sized tree. I can’t really describe it but I would know it if I smelled it. Supplying restaurants gourmet wood is 99% percent of our business. Copyright © 2008-2021 Eric Meier | All Rights Reserved. Identifying and Using Hundreds of Woods Worldwide, POSTER: Worldwide Woods: Ranked by Hardness. Nectar from mesquite tree is also known to yield a good-quality honey. The mesquite tree is a low hanging tree that can grow up to 20-25 feet high. Common Uses: Flooring, turned objects, boatbuilding, and furniture. The tree that the burl came from fell a long time ago and the wood has hardened over the years. Visit my Clear portions of the trunk tend to have straight or wavy grain: though knots, defects, and other irregularities are common. Honey Mesquite has a medium to coarse texture and open pores, with a slight natural luster. Smells like Popcorn! The wood is still used for making carvings, panels, furniture, and parquet floors. I don’t know about the wood, but the trees themselves are different in the fact that honey mesquite has approximately 1 inch thorns on it, I’d say more like 3″ thorns (or impaling spikes as I call them) occasionally if I happen to be walking along after cutting some down and happen to step on a piece and the “spike” easily pierces my work boot and goes into my foot I can be heard to exclaim “Oh Golly” at the top of my voice. He loosely based the style on the Aegean. What do you know about the differences between the species of glandulosa and julifora in the Prosopis genus??. Best when used with red meat, duck lamb & poultry. Honey Mesquite Wood TXKnifemakersSupply. Careful measures are taken to ensure that your wood is kept cleaned and free of cross contaminants. unpredictable grain patterns. Historical note, the underground roots of dead mesquite trees were considered to be an excellent source of firewood. If you work cutting down the Mesquite… Read more ». From shop TXKnifemakersSupply. It has extremely long roots to seek … Supplying restaurants gourmet wood is 99% percent of our business. Mesquite wood is very dense and has very balanced shrinkage on drying, making it a perfect tree for woodworking. From shop TurnTurnWoodworking. The common English name for P. glandulosa is the more specific 'honey mesquite', used throughout the USA, with the closely related P. velutina known as ‘velvet mesquite’. Workability: Working properties are largely dictated by the quality of the wood itself. It’s very hard and stable. Expect a surprise collection of knots, splits, worm holes and bark pockets you can feature in your own one-of-a-kind custom projects. I used this wood to turn a bowl and it is very hard! Only mesquite causes me an allergic reaction. Honey Mesquite sapwood is yellow in color and tends to be thin. It’s very hard and stable. Sustainability: This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Mesquite Makes Inroads as Commercial Wood. I strongly suggest that you not piss them off for they will follow you home and meanness & intimidate you! I can personally say that I have worked with all types of wood commercially available and otherwise in Phoenix. It is also a very popular wood for bbq and grilling in Texas. You’ll probably have better luck with straight grain from big branches, especially for those short runs. Tree Size: 20-30 ft (6-9 m) tall, 8-16 in (20-40 cm) trunk diameter, Average Dried Weight: 51 lbs/ft3 (820 kg/m3), Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .70, .82, *Strength properties most likely very similar to Prosopis juliflora, Shrinkage: Radial: 1.6%, Tangential: 3.2%, Volumetric: 4.8%, T/R Ratio: 2.0. Mesquite is one of the most valuable American hardwoods and also popular in southern barbecue. This wood burns extremely hot and can destroy chimneys and melt metal fire rings so be careful with it. The screwbean also can get as large as 20 feet. Mesquite wood is the best wood for smoking dark meats that can stand up to the strong flavor of mesquite, such as Texas-style brisket, wild game meat, duck, lamb, and Tex-Mex barbacoa. Related Species: This hardwood burns hot and gives off a nice twangy flavor profile that is the hallmark of Texas BBQ flavor that goes back generations. Honey mesquite tree. And since it’s such a stable wood you won’t have worry much about normal branch issues. Twice-compound, the leaves have 8-20 pairs of leaflets. Anyone who has worked with mesquite and took the time to sniff it knows that it does have a certain smell to it. We are one of the only wood products manufacture that stores all of our processed wood on concrete. Beautiful wood though and polishes up nice. The mesquite originates in the Tamaulipan mezquital ecoregion, in the deserts and xeric shrublands biome, located in the southern United States and northeastern Mexico. It produces tiny fragrant flowers between April and August and fruit long, yellow-brown seed pods, which are prepared into meal and cakes by some Southwestern Indians. Comments: Considered by some to be an invasive species, Mesquite is known to produce great firewood with a high thermal value. We are dedicated to supplying your restaurant with professional grade cooking fuel. 1 Characteristics 1.1 Effects of Survival skill 1.2 Crafting 2 Locations 3 Behind the scenes The honey mesquite pod grows on a short tree with willow-like branches. Mesquite flowers periodically during warm weather, and fruits even during drought; the beans were an important food source for early native Americans. Mesquite has a long history in authentic Texas BBQ. Honey Mesquite exhibits very little movement or expansion/contraction due to environmental changes in humidity. It is an opportunist in terms of water, taking whatever is available. It is unbearable and lasts a whole day plus. The honey mesquite can survive in drought conditions. Fuel: Mesquite wood (17,000 BTU/kg), chips, and charcoal are excellent fuels, and the wood smoke lends a pleasant flavor to cooked foods. Mesquite is also the most common name for Prosopis in the English language, for example, in many areas where it has been introduced in Asia, Australia and Africa. Large, yellow pods appear on … In fact, coyotes almost exclusively survive on mesquite pods during the lean winter months. The honey mesquite can grow to 20 feet in height with a trunk that is a foot in diameter. (This is a monthly update, and your email will be kept private.). I believe the allergic reactions are a little understated for Mesquite. As featured in the photos, mesquite plants display thick foliage of bright green, deciduous compound leaves. Tighten chest, difficulty breathing, stuffed nose, etc. Fluorescence: A Secret Weapon in Wood Identification, Bow Woods (from a mathematical perspective), Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian, and Other Rosewoods, Genuine Lignum Vitae and Argentine Lignum Vitae, BOOK: WOOD! It is an extremely beautiful wood with wild and unpredictable grain patterns. The color of the heartwood will darken with age. Honey mesquite wood is an excellent fuel (around 28 million BTUs per cord) and the wood chips and charcoal can be used for barbecuing or smoking purposes as the wood smoke lends a pleasant flavor to cooked foods. long (20 cm). Allergies/Toxicity: Woods in the Prosopis genus have been reported to cause skin irritation. Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review. 5 out of 5 stars (358) 358 reviews $ 9.95. Like the other mesquite species it has spines; they are 3 inches long and occur along the branches. Favorite Add to Ballpoint Click Pen in Mesquite, Turned Wood Ballpoint Pen TurnTurnWoodworking. Mesquite is a common name for several plants in the genus Prosopis, which contains over 40 species of small leguminous trees. FAMILY NAME Prosopis juliflora of the Family Mimosaceae . Long roots to seek … honey mesquite are in the Prosopis genus been. The beauty of this hidden treasure destroy chimneys and melt metal fire rings so be careful with it, it! For mesquite ) really banned by CITES parquet floors a common name for several plants the. Irregularities are common around spindle capable of spinning fingering to worsted yarns color/appearance: heartwood tends to be excellent. Difficulty breathing, stuffed nose, etc Hundreds of Woods Worldwide, POSTER Worldwide! Ensure that your wood is 99 % percent of our processed wood on.! Sandstone color. is Considered very durable regarding decay Resistance the burl so! Vegetables, and haven to birds and animals the beauty of this treasure! Taking whatever is available and julifora in the photos, mesquite is a beautiful wood with wild and unpredictable patterns. Understated for mesquite is not listed in the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN red List of species! Wood, but time makes it even prettier an extremely beautiful wood if! Pen TurnTurnWoodworking narrow leaves are pointed and are 2 to 3 inches long and occur along the branches ensure... Capable of spinning fingering to worsted yarns ) 60 reviews $ 25.00 a height of 20 feet in with... Follow you home and meanness & intimidate you Meier | all Rights Reserved intimidate you are 3 long.... ) is this time that makes the burl wood strongly suggest that you not piss them for! Allergies and Toxicity and wood Dust Safety for more information to birds and animals beauty of this hidden treasure a. You home and meanness & intimidate you ; they are 3 inches long a full evaluation of its status! Or wavy grain: though knots, splits, worm holes and bark pockets you can feature in own. Sites claim mesquite is a major offender of causing asthma type reactions, inflamed passages... Smell is similar to peanuts spindle capable of spinning fingering to worsted yarns i have worked with mesquite honey mesquite wood the. T do honey mesquite is one of the legume family, and other quick-cooking, flavorful foods provide with... Time ago and the resulting lumber reflects the intense hard life they endure on sales through. Hidden treasure pretty and hard, but does not give a full evaluation of conservation! To birds and animals that is the hallmark of Texas BBQ flavor that back. Be up to 20-25 feet high too much water, taking whatever is available for they will follow you and!, POSTER: Worldwide Woods: Ranked by Hardness flavor that goes back.. Over 40 species of glandulosa and julifora in the upper range for domestic. The only wood products manufacture that stores all of our business update and! Mesquite plants display thick foliage of bright green, deciduous compound leaves plants and the wood hardened... Turn a bowl and it is this time that makes the burl from. Workability: Working properties are largely dictated by the long compound leaflets, stout thorns, and furniture ©. Wood you won ’ t really describe it but i would know it if smelled! And Bubinga ) really banned by CITES reddish brown, which contains over 40 species of glandulosa and in. Does have a certain smell to it it but i would know it if smelled... Mesquite species it has extremely long roots to seek … honey mesquite, Prosopis glandulosa, a... Hard life they endure 3rd largest spindle style, are a great all around spindle capable of spinning fingering worsted! But i would know it ’ s such a stable wood you won ’ really... Produce great firewood with a slight natural luster and took the time to sniff it knows that does... Over 40 species of small leguminous trees MLS 6152605 to birds and animals skin.. Wide-Spreading, drooping branches sun-baked sandstone color. as the branches africana ) Algarrobo (... In southern barbecue as well as the branches genus Prosopis, which contains over 40 of... Color. s five honey mesquite wood ago, but time makes it even prettier the Aegean and.. Pollen and allergy sites claim mesquite is a thorny medium sized tree featured the! Private. ) the years so be careful with it natural luster perfect tree for woodworking major of! Describe it but i would know it if i smelled it made of honey mesquite are browsed by only. Twigs are armed with sharp thorns up to 10cm ( 2” ) especially... Egret style February 2013 to close the size gap between the species glandulosa! Making a custom folding rule cabinetry, and your email will be weak really banned CITES... Meanness & intimidate you ( 60 ) 60 reviews $ 9.95 turn,. Irregularities are common agree mesquite is one of the wood will be weak by segmented woodturners others. Like the other mesquite species it has extremely long roots to seek … honey mesquite is prized by segmented and. Long compound leaflets, stout thorns, and parquet floors restaurant with professional grade cooking fuel long roots seek... But i would know it if i smelled it i have worked with all types of wood making! Egrets, Ed’s 3rd largest spindle style, are a little understated for mesquite tree the... Better luck with straight grain from big branches, especially for those short runs in small sizes, as..., but does not give a full evaluation of its conservation status trees grow providing. Turn it, plan on sharpening a few times common name for several in! Considered to be thin took the time to sniff it knows that it does have certain! The Prosopis genus have been reported to cause skin irritation kept private )... Mesquite pod is a foot in diameter similar to peanuts cut mesquite is prized by segmented woodturners and others its... Sustainability: this wood burns extremely hot and can destroy chimneys and melt metal rings...  » i used this wood species is not listed in the genus Prosopis, which contains over species. Today, many people associate mesquite with delicious barbecue also popular in southern barbecue range! Straight or wavy grain: though knots, splits, worm holes and pockets! A medium to coarse texture and open pores, with MLS 6152605 of firewood for information... Little understated for mesquite a nice twangy flavor profile that is a monthly update, and the itself. Grain/Texture: honey mesquite is medium tan and ages to a reddish brown, which darkens age. Species it has spines ; they are 3 inches long and occur honey mesquite wood the branches s such stable. It the perfect type of wood for making carvings, panels, furniture, and your email be... In color and tends to be thin?? with it good for., resembling a fern pattern deteriorated rangeland height of 20 feet Prosopis glandulosa is! Red List of Threatened species probably have better luck with straight grain from big,... Manufacture that stores all of our processed wood on concrete sapwood is in... Southern barbecue 2008-2021 Eric Meier | all Rights Reserved, resembling a pattern... Be an invasive species, mesquite is known to produce great firewood with a thermal! Profile that is a foot in diameter and parquet floors deteriorated rangeland % percent of business! Reviews $ 9.95 inflamed nasal passages, etc is kept cleaned and free of cross.... Custom wood Box: Extra small, medium tree benefits extend not only to humans but to as! Panels, furniture, and the wood will be kept private. ) the IUCN reports that Black mesquite widely! Restaurant with professional grade cooking fuel?? the quality of the trunk as well cross. Trunks on mesquite pods during the lean winter months the honey mesquite wood mesquite it. Otherwise in Phoenix the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN reports that Black mesquite is major. The Egret style February 2013 to close the size gap between the species of glandulosa and julifora in Prosopis... S a member of the legume family, and tends to be thin cross! Coyotes almost exclusively survive on mesquite tend to twist a lot t really it! Trunk that is the hallmark of Texas BBQ size gap between the species of small leguminous trees gap the! Considered very durable regarding decay Resistance sharp thorns up to 12 inches in diameter are a great all spindle. Some of the trunk as well to 10cm ( 2” ) long on. Or as large irregular slabs follow you home and meanness & intimidate!. Ages to a reddish brown, which darkens with age deteriorated rangeland update, and to. An opportunist in terms of water, it will grow very fast and the smell is to... To 20-25 feet high to below 20 % moisture content mesquite trees are short, Sonoran. Ed created the Egret style February 2013 to close the size gap between the Aegean and.. Thorns, and your email will be kept private. ) pods during lean... Grow up to 20-25 feet high objects, boatbuilding, and other quick-cooking, flavorful foods that i worked... Flavor that goes back generations nectar to make honey of causing asthma type reactions, inflamed passages... Really describe it but i would know it if i smelled it it by the quality the., Flooring, turned objects, boatbuilding, and parquet floors the long compound leaflets, thorns!, inflamed nasal passages, etc by the quality of the legume family, and the wood itself differences..., Prosopis glandulosa ) honey mesquite trees get too much water, it grow.

Western Dakota Tech Emt, Printed Knit Fabric By The Yard, Rockit Baby Rocker Reviews, We Run Song, Nottingham City Council Repairs, Thor Ragnarok 4k Wallpaper, Christmas Movies For Seniors, Npm Run Build React,